UNI: Before Uni

 I will be dedicating this post more to the NTU freshmen (especially if you are from CBE). This post will cover mainly things to look out for in school, my reflection on the modules I've taken in years 1 & 2, along with tips for all of these modules.

Since there are ALOT of things to cover about uni, I suggest you also search for other blogs/vlogs that talk about their daily life in uni, and how they cope with the curriculum too. 

 ______________________________________________________________________________

Congrats! You made it to NTU and the course of your choice! Now you might be curious what's next for you? Do you mug 24/7 months before the semester starts? Or should you sign up for every single orientation camp in existence? Here is my personal take on what you could do to help you with your transition to uni-life.

[Things to look out for/prepare before school starts]

1) Orientation Camps

I think the easiest way to make friends before school starts is through camps. Definitely consider the faculty/school camps because that's also the place where you will get to know your seniors (very impt!) and coursemates. You might want to look at Big 4 (SU/WSC/CAC/SP) camps too especially if you plan to be a part of those clubs when the semester starts. Lastly, Hall Camps are widely agreed among students to be the most fun camp out there. It's an opportunity to know your hall neighbours and people staying in your hall. Who knows, you might want to call them up for supper or even inter-hall games. 

I might have missed out on some stuff but I did not regret signing up for all 3 camps 👍

2) Bridging/Preparatory Courses

For the guys out there who just got out of 2 years of NS, this is especially for you. Your brain might be gone rusty and you may have forgotten how a scientific calculator works. NTU offers bridging/prep courses (free of charge) to incoming freshmen. Do look out for the official email!

I went for physics & math preparatory courses and it benefited me significantly. I might even go to the extent and say that it might have given me a head-start too. I vividly recall that the contents covered for the physics prep course were the exact contents covered for my physics module when school started.

3) Course Exemptions

Do check out the updated list of course exemptions for poly students (or A-Level/IB). Please do yourself a favour and consider applying for course exemption (if you're eligible). Not only will you have fewer things to study for, but you can focus on the weaker modules. 

An email will be sent out to everyone by your faculty to apply for course exemptions (at least during AY2021). You are responsible for checking your eligibility before applying.

4) Consider a tablet

I think about 90% of uni students own an iPad/tablet for note-taking. It makes sense because all the lecture notes/tutorials are uploaded online. So it might be easier to just download the files and make the necessary notations before printing them.

Personally, I find using pen and paper to be the best. I've tried using my iPad and for unknown reasons, I can't focus.

5) Note-taking/Task-Management Apps

Uni's schedule can get very hectic. And there will be times when you can't remember every deadline waiting to destroy your GPA. I would highly recommend trying out those free apps (I'm not sponsored btw) like Notion (I use this) or Evernote or Apple iCloud Calendar/Google Calendar.

6) Calculators

If you're an incoming engineering student, check out the calculators that are popular among students for their functions. I'm using the CASIO fx-991ex, and it helps me solve unknowns in any equation/matrices/statistics. Some of my peers use graphical calculators and it's fine too. 

Remember to check the list of calculators allowed by your school! You should be able to find it online via Google.

7) Social Media/Telegram Groups

The best way to get updates on good deals/events/updates on NTU is to follow as many social media accounts as possible. Some of the PYPs are uploaded on drive, which you can find them on NTU CCEB Insta.

Here are a few recommended ones: 

- Faculty/Course Instagram page & Telegram group 

- The CCAs that you're interested in 

- Student Union

- UShop (for newly released NTU merchandise/lucky draw)

- "Meows of NTU" on Telegram (for free serotonin)

- "NTU Lost & Found" on Telegram (in case you lose stuff on campus)

- "NTU Market Place" on Telegram (like the carousel but by NTU students)

- "NTU Free Food" on Telegram (for leftover (edible) food that's free)

- "NTU Happening Siol" on Telegram (NTU newsfeed)

8) Work Study Scheme (WSS)

NTU has this WSS where you can work and earn some money here and there. They are event-based and some might require continuous commitments. You can check them out by googling "NTU WSS" to find out more. 

9) If you're staying in HALL

You can find a lot of recommended list of items that you should bring to hall in the internet. Regardless of which university the advice is from, it is generally the same. 

My personal advice is to make your hall as comfortable as possible. I spend most of my time doing work in my room at hall, so things like seat cushion/extra monitor/my fish plushy/snacks makes the day less miserable.

10) Enjoy yourselves before the semester starts because I can assure you that it will be a roller coaster ride 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNI: Overseas Exchange Tips

UNI: CBE Courses